Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Last One...Blog 4

So this is all still a little tentative, but I think it will work:

Research Question: According to high school social studies teachers, what is the most effective method for student note-taking?

Methodology: I will obviously use the accessible population of high school social studies teachers in Forsyth County. To begin with, I will give them a survey (via mail, email, in person, I haven’t worked these details out yet). The survey will have a variety of questions such as; do you expect your students to take notes during lecture? Do you provide your students with an outline or graphic organizer to facilitate their note-taking? etc. I will look at these surveys and then, in a semi-structured format, I will interview teachers to get more information. I will be looking for things like, why do you give an outline or why do you not? Do you write important points on the board if you require the conventional style of note-taking? What do you think are the benefits to having your students take notes? Do most of your students know how to take notes, or do you spend some time at the beginning of the year making sure they understand the best way to do so? Eventually, I hope to be able to use something like the “Mac Method” to code my data and determine the most effective way to one day have my own students take notes.

I guess this is beginning stage of my major research project…scary!!!! Although it has been a great first month!

No comments: