Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The end...or just the beginning?

Ok, so the final research questions are:
  1. Do students perceive differences in the way that teachers treat them based on teacher expectations?
  2. What are these differences and how do these perceptions affect the student’s motivation and performance?
  3. Does achievement level affect responses?
They are pretty open ended, but that's okay! Because qualitative questions can be general and open-ended, right?

As far as methods go, I plan on interviewing eight students. I want to get input from two different teachers, and have each of them pick 4 students - 2 high achieving and 2 low achieving because I am interested in the different responses based on achievement levels. I will record and transcribe the interviews and then analyze the data using the Mac Method!

1 comment:

Katie Gulledge said...

Jen,
I can completely understand your feeling about it being the end yet only the beginning. I am glad to know that I am not alone! It sounds like you have a great path started with your research project. Your questions are fascinating and have great detail. Student motivation is such an important topic and very necessary for research. I really like your second question as I think perceptions that students have about their teacher do determine their own motivation. This has def. been the case from my experience in teaching. Your study results could be very helpful to not only beginning teachers but also current teachers. It might be useful to have the students who are “low” or “high” be determined by some sort of common assessment. I am not sure if this is necessary but I would think it would give more validity to the study instead of just having the teachers identify them. Overall, I love your idea and look forward to seeing it progress. Your topic also raises a question I have had for awhile about academic research. So much of the research produced in the field of education is useful for actual practice. How does the research produced by academics and published in academic journals reach teachers who could use this information? For awhile now I have been wondering how we in the academic field could make research accessible and useful for actual teachers. Interested in any further thoughts anyone has on this.