Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Blog #4 Final Product

Research Question: In what ways and for what purposes do secondary mathematics teachers integrate writing into their curriculum? What professional training do they receive to prepare them to implement writing strategies?

Methodology: Subjects for my study will be secondary mathematics teachers from all courses ranging from Algebra I to AP Calculus. I will distribute a survey that asks the respondents to indicate the types of writing exercises they use in their classroom and the reasons they have for using those exercises (i.e. review, assessment, student resource, expression of creativity, etc.) The survey will have structured item responses, and then it will also have questions at the end that allow for free response. The free response questions will ask them to detail a most successful writing exercise and how schools of education can better prepare prospective mathematics teachers for using writing in their content area. I will analyze the data from the surveys to calculate percentages. I will report these percentages as a summary of my findings.

No comments: