Thursday, June 12, 2008

Blog #2

After reflecting on the comments and suggestions I have received, I feel that I have made some progress in narrowing my topic into something more manageable and practical to me as a teacher. That's not to say that the broad topics of single-sex classrooms and the differences between public and private schools no longer interest me! Reflecting further on my own experiences as a student, I realize that there are some types of tests I tend to do better on than others. I also know that I generally prefer to write a paper than take a test. That said, I have begun to think about researching student assessments in the social studies classroom. What kind of tests to social studies teachers typically give? Multiple-choice tests, essay based test, or some combination of the two? What variety of tests do students prefer? I would imagine there are similar characteristics among students who prefer multiple-choice test to writing based test. Also, what kind of tests prove the most effective in preparing students for college or E.O.C. standardized test?

By surveying teachers and students alike, I could produce some quantitative data that could prove insightful into understanding the effectiveness of testing. I am aware of several studies on this topic as well and am in the process or reading through them. If I do go forward with this research idea, I realize that importance of constructing surveys that would produce the quantifiable data that I want. However, I might choose to blend the qualitative approach of interviewing teachers and/or students in order to obtain more specific information that could prove useful. There's still plenty to think about for sure, but at least I feel like this topic would prove more useful to me as a teacher.

1 comment:

Dr. Mac said...

Carl, I agree that this would be a good topic. Assessment is VERY important, and however you might decide to study it could valuable. You could take either the teacher or student perspective and collect data to describe that. Surveys or interviews or some combination would be appropriate.