Thursday, June 12, 2008

#2

So this week we've been working on appropriate research methods. Gathering data for my possible topic (the effectiveness of classroom routines) will definitely include interviews. I love sitting down with both current teachers and students to find out how methods are put into place and if students actually respond to them. I plan on interviewing both students and teachers then to see if, as Sarah suggested, students prefer a more relaxed or rigid learning atmosphere. In order to make my conclusions more generalizable, I'd also like to possibly survey more than just the four master teachers we'll be watching. I'd love any suggestions for effective questioning techniques here and how to make the survey most respond-able.

I’d like to incorporate more quantitative data as well. Maybe I could make the survey have a numerical scale? Beyond that, I’m not sure how I will but I think it would go a long to making my study seem truer. Numbers tend to be more impressive and convincing than a lot of words.

2 comments:

MelissaJ said...

Also, I forgot to mention that I think this study will be correlational in nature. I'm not sure which method will work better and won't be making any strict hypotheses. Instead, I want to merely observe and learn the relationships between the two styles and learning. But perhaps worded differently, that could become a causal-comparative study? Ah, confusion...

Dr. Mac said...

Melissa, I think your study will be survey or interview. You will want to decide whether to focus on student or teacher perspective, and probably teachers will be better data sources. Your task now is to construct your research question.

I don't know what you mean by "truer".... Both qualitative data and quantitative data are valuable, and should be matched to the question rather than selected by method...

I don't know if you have found related literature?