Thursday, June 19, 2008

Three

Ok, so as I said last week, qualitative seems to be the best route for me and my topic. I am very interested in interviews. (And not the video kind!) So far, I’m thinking of interviewing both teachers and their students. I would ask teachers questions to figure out if they consciously manipulate time and plan to be either rigid or flexible in their daily use of it. I plan to ask students if they prefer teachers who are rigid or flexible in their routines. I would also be interested in knowing if they think those teachers who appear to be flexible have a plan or not.

In addition to interviewing teachers and students, I would also like to use an observation component. After today’s exercise, I realized that the naturalistic approach works best for me but that a Flanders Interaction grid like we did today would be practical too. I’m curious to find out if those categories are specific or if I could tailor them to fit my study better. I like the ones about the lecturing, asking questions and dead time. I would like to add some about “housekeeping” time, review time, and independent study, for example.

I also liked what Dr. McCoy said today about there being a specific culture in the classroom. I think that a teacher’s use of time can contribute to this idea of a class-by-class culture. Each teacher may have specific uses for time on a daily basis that can contribute to a culture that the students understand and predict. I’m thinking of this as when then students walk in everyday, for example, they know to complete the bell-ringer on the board, turn in homework in a specific box, or work on some independent reading. Dr. McCoy, can you please comment on who you said wrote quite a bit on this idea?

1 comment:

Dr. Mac said...

Melissa, this post started out sounding unfocused, but your attraction to classroom culture brings it together. You could identify specific elements of the classroom culture to observe and study. The author I was referring to is Gary Fenstermacher, but several studies have been published on this topic.